From next Wednesday October 25, every Dappnode leaving our warehouse will be primed to run a Swarm node, with enough tokens to start a node and participate in the network.
This is a joint effort between Dappnode and Swarm to increase the number of nodes in the Swarm network and increase decentralization by reducing friction to start a node. Dappnode provides the UI-only easy deployment, and Swarm contributes with the initial stake of the node.
Great, but what is Swarm?
Swarm is a decentralized data storage and distribution technology. It was created by the Ethereum Foundation in 2015 as part of the world computer vision. After 5 years of R&D under the Ethereum Foundation, Swarm graduated, implementation began in 2020 and the Swarm Foundation was established in 2021.
The system is economically self-sustaining due to a built-in incentive system which is enforced through smart contracts on the Ethereum blockchain and powered by the BZZ token.
By introducing storage incentives, Swarm establishes a solid foundation for the forthcoming era of cutting-edge dApps - ones that embrace privacy, security, decentralization, inclusivity, and open-source principles.
Why should I run a node?
The Swarm network includes two incentive protocols which each give Bee nodes incentives to participate in maintaining the network in a healthy way.
- Storage incentives: By participating in the storage incentives protocol, full nodes which store and share data chunks with the network have a chance to earn xBZZ. Staked xBZZ is required to earn storage incentives.
- SWAP incentives: The SWAP incentives protocol encourages full or light nodes to share bandwidth with other nodes in exchange for payments from other nodes either in-kind or as a cheque to be settled at a future date. SWAP requires a chequebook contract to be set up on Gnosis Chain for each participating node.
- By staking BZZ, node operators can participate in the redistribution of funds, which, in turn, provides Bee node operators with BZZ as a reward for offering storage and bandwidth.
- By activating a Swarm bee node, you're not just running a node; you actively contribute to the advancement of digital freedom, fostering a more equitable digital landscape. Currently, over 7,000 nodes are fortifying this network, providing leak-proof messaging and unfettered access to decentralized data.
Node operators are rewarded with BZZ tokens, the native ERC-20 token.
The Bee node serves as your personalized gateway to the Swarm network, offering you interactive access to content and dapps hosted on Swarm. That enables you to:
- Securely store (upload and download) files on Swarm’s decentralized storage.
- Share files privately and securely with others.
- Host and manage HTML websites conveniently.
Installing the Swarm Bee Node with Dappnode
Setting up a Swarm Bee node has never been easier. Find it ready-to-install as a package in the DAppStore. You can find more instructions in the technical blog post.
Starting November, every Dappnode device purchase will come with invitation codes. These codes will assist in running the initial stake needed to operate a bee node.
Stay tuned and join our AMA on 25 October for in-depth insights and instructions